How to Apply for Canada Visit Visa from USA
Here's how you can apply for Canadian visit visa from USA.
Being the second largest country in the world, Canada welcomes millions of international travelers each year, with 21.3 million visiting the nation in 2018, according to an article on Radio Canada International. The US, being a good neighbor, accounted for 68% of the total number of visitors to Canada that year.
One of the main reasons why people travel to Canada is the vast number of outdoor activities that the nation offers, such as skiing, snowboarding, kayaking, mountain biking and canoeing, to name a few. Planning a holiday in Canada is affordable too. The Canadian dollar is valued slightly lower than the US dollar, so travelers find it cheaper to travel and stay in Canada, as compared to the US.
The first and foremost thing to do to step on to Canadian soil is to apply for a visit visa, by filling and submitting the Canadian Visa Application Form. However, if you are a citizen of a country that is part of the Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) system, you don’t need to apply for a visa.
What is Electronic Travel Authorization for Canada?
A total of 57 countries are exempted from requiring a visa to enter Canada. However, they need to apply for an eTA. This is issued electronically, and information is stored for all applicants traveling for the purposes of tourism and business. The eTA is valid for 5 years and can be used for multiple entries.
How to Apply for the eTA?
Applying for the eTA is a simple process. Here’s how you can apply online:
- Keep your passport, credit or debit cards ready before applying.
- Fill up the online form, by providing with all the necessary information.
- After this, pay the non-refundable fee of C$7.
- An email will be sent within minutes, with the confirmation.
- If you are required to send any documents, you will receive an email within 72 hours, with all the instructions.
Things to Consider Before Applying for an eTA
If you have a passport issued by the US, you don’t require either an eTA or a visa to travel to Canada. However, if you are a permanent resident of America, you will be required to apply for an eTA. You simply need to travel with proof of your citizenship of America, such as your Green Card, birth certificate and a photo for identification.
How to Apply for Traditional Canadian Visa
There are two ways to apply for a Canadian visa:
Apply Online: For this, you will need a scanner to be able to scan your documents and upload electronically. You can also pay the fee online.
Apply on Paper: Download the form and fill it by hand. Follow the next steps to complete the process:
- Provide with all the required information, ensuring that the information is accurate and complete.
- Pay the application fee through a bank draft or check. The amount will depend on the type of visa you apply for.
- Submit the application form, along with your passport, photographs, and other mandatory documents at the nearest Canada Visa Application Center.
- After this, you can track your visa status online.
If you are applying for the Canadian visa from USA, the process remains the same. Check whether you are eligible for an eTA, otherwise follow the visa application process mentioned above.