Known for its diverse landscapes, wildlife, and friendly locals, Uganda is an exciting destination that has a lot to offer to international travelers.
If you are planning a visit to this East African gem, it is important to get your visa details sorted.
This guide will take you through the Uganda visit visa application process and requirements.
In this article…
Who Needs a Visit Visa to Uganda?
As of my knowledge cutoff in September 2021, nationals of several countries can enter Uganda without a visa for up to 90 days, including members of the East African Community, COMESA, and a few other countries.
However, most other foreign nationals are required to have a visa to enter Uganda.
You can verify this information by visiting the official website of the Directorate of Citizenship and Immigration Control.
Types of Uganda Visit Visas
There are three main types of visas that you can apply for depending on your purpose:
- Single Entry Visa: Allows you to enter Uganda once and stay for up to 90 days.
- Multiple Entry Visa: Permits multiple entries into Uganda during the validity period.
- East Africa Tourist Visa: Allows travel between Kenya, Rwanda, and Uganda with the same multiple entry visa.
Uganda Visit Visa Application Process
The following are the general requirements for a Uganda visit visa:
- A passport valid for at least six months from the date of entry into Uganda.
- Two recent passport-sized photos.
- Completed visa application form.
- Proof of yellow fever vaccination.
- Letter of invitation/supporting letter where applicable.
- Proof of financial means to support the stay in Uganda.
- Visa application fee.
- Prepare Your Documents: Compile all the required documents as per the list above.
- Apply Online: Uganda offers an e-visa system, which means you can apply for your visa online via the Uganda Electronic Visa/Permit Application System.
- Pay the Visa Fee: The fee depends on the type of visa you’re applying for and should be paid online as part of your application.
- Wait for Approval: Upon approval, you will receive an email notifying you of the approval of your visa.
- Travel to Uganda: You will present your approved visa at the port of entry.
While the process to obtain a Uganda visit visa involves several steps, it can be quite straightforward when you have all the necessary information and documents.
Be sure to plan ahead and give yourself plenty of time to go through the process.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How long does it take to process a Uganda Visit Visa?
It can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks, so it’s advised to apply well in advance of your travel dates.
2. Can I extend my Uganda Visit Visa?
Yes, you can apply for an extension of your visa through the immigration office in Kampala.
3. Is a Uganda Visit Visa valid for all East African countries?
No, only the East Africa Tourist Visa allows you to travel between Kenya, Rwanda, and Uganda.
Visiting Uganda can be an exciting adventure, and understanding the visa process is the first step in planning your journey.
Note: Always remember to verify visa requirements with official government websites or trusted sources, as the visa rules and regulations can change frequently.