Which Visa Should Parents Visiting USA Get [ANSWERED]


Which Visa for Parents Visiting the USA? Your Personal Guide to Reunion Bliss!

Hey, hey, hey! ๐ŸŒ๐Ÿ—ฝ

So, you’re thinking of bringing your folks over for a slice of the American pie?

Whether it’s showing mom the dazzling lights of NYC or taking dad on a road trip through the Grand Canyon, you’ve got to ensure they’ve got the right visa.

Let’s navigate this together!

First off, which visa do parents need to visit the USA?

The golden ticket for parents visiting for leisure is the B-2 Tourist Visa. Simple, right?

But, as with anything immigration-related, there’s a bit more under the hood.

๐Ÿ’ก Tip: Buy travel health insurance before your trip.

Check out popular travel insurance plans and choose one that suits you.

Most plans only cost less than $20 a day.

Diving into the B-2 Tourist Visa

  • Purpose:
    The B-2 visa is designed for those visiting the U.S. for pleasure, tourism, or medical treatment. It’s perfect for parents wanting to spend quality time with their family in the States.
  • Validity:
    While the B-2 visa can be issued for multiple entries and long durations (up to 10 years for some countries), the actual stay per visit is determined by the Customs and Border Protection officer upon entry, typically up to 6 months.
  • Application Process:
    Parents will need to fill out the DS-160 form online, pay the visa application fee, and attend an interview at a U.S. embassy or consulate.
  • Required Documents:
    Apart from the usual passport and application form, itโ€™s good to have evidence of strong ties to their home country (like property, job, etc.), financial ability to support their stay, and a letter of invitation from you can be helpful but not mandatory.

For a detailed walkthrough of the B-2 application process, head over to my step-by-step guide.

Can They Stay Longer or Work?

  • Extensions: If your parents want to stay longer than the duration granted upon entry, they can apply for an extension using the Form I-539. It’s crucial to apply well before their current stay expires.
  • Work: A big no-no. The B-2 visa doesn’t allow for employment in the U.S. If work is the intention, theyโ€™d need to look into different visa categories.

Visa Waiver Program (VWP): A Quick Mention

For those lucky few whose countries are part of the VWP, visits up to 90 days for tourism might not even need a B-2 visa!

However, an authorization via the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) is necessary.

Avoiding Roadblocks: Tips for a Smooth Visa Journey

  • Honesty is Key: Always be truthful during the application process. Misrepresentations can lead to refusals or bans.
  • Plan Ahead: Visas can take time, especially during peak seasons. Start the process well in advance of their intended travel date.
  • Health Insurance: Considering the high medical costs in the U.S., it’s wise for your parents to have travel health insurance for their visit.

๐Ÿ’ก Tip: Buy travel health insurance before your trip.

Check out popular travel insurance plans and choose one that suits you.

Most plans only cost less than $20 a day.


And thatโ€™s the scoop! Bringing your parents over to the U.S. is a beautiful gesture, and armed with the right visa knowledge, it can be a breeze.

Here’s to creating beautiful memories and sharing the American dream with your loved ones!

Until next time, safe travels and warm reunions! ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‘ช๐ŸŒ‰

5/5 – (1 vote)

Apply Online easily.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *