Spain Visit Visa – How to Apply
Here's how you can apply for a visa to Spain.
Did you know that as of 2019, Spain is home to 48 UNESCO World Heritage Sites, second only to France (55) and China (55) in that list? A record number of 81.9 million tourists traveled to Spain in 2017, according to an article on World Atlas. Tourism is an integral part of the Spanish economy, contributing around 11% to the national GDP, making tourism the third biggest contributor to the economy.
But to travel to this amazing and unique destination, you are likely to need a visa, depending on your nationality, and nature and duration of the visit.
What is Spain Visa?
Spain comes under the Schengen zone. So, to travel to Spain, you will need a Spain Schengen visa. The Spain Schengen visa is a type of short-term visa that allows you to travel through all the member nations of the Schengen Zone, including Spain. This visa allows you to stay for up to 90 days for tourism and business purposes in the region.
Spain Visa Types
There are various types of visas that you will need to choose from, based on the purpose of your visit:
- Transit Visa: For those who wish to enter Spain only to change their means of transportation.
- Tourism Visa: For those who wish to enter the country for the purposes of travel and tourism for a maximum of 90 days.
- Visa for Visiting Family and Friends: For people who wish to visit their friends or family members residing in Spain.
- Business Visa: For traveling to Spain for business purposes.
- Visa for Cultural and Sports Activities: For people who wish to travel to Spain to participate in or attend cultural or sports events.
- Visa for Official Visits: For those traveling to Spain on an official invitation.
- Study Visa: For those who are traveling to Spain for educational purposes.
- Medical Visa: A visa issued for medical purposes allows its holder to travel to Spain for medical treatment and stay in the country for the duration of that treatment.
Depending on how many times you wish to enter and exit the country, you will also need to select one of the following types of visas:
- Single Entry Visa: A single entry visa allows its bearer to enter Spain only once during the period of time mentioned on the visa stamp.
- Double Entry Visa: A double-entry passport allows its bearer two opportunities to enter the Schengen territory with a specific time period.
- Multiple Entry: A multiple entry visa allows its bearer to enter Spain as many times as they want within a specified timeframe.
How to Apply for Spain Visa
The first step in applying for a visa is filling up of the Schengen visa application form. You would need to submit some mandatory documents and pay the visa fee, which can vary depending on the nature and duration of your visit.
After submitting the documents and paying the visa fee, you need to schedule an interview at your nearest Spanish embassy/consulate.
For further information, it is best to contact the Spanish consulate in your home country.
Got questions? Please ask in the comments section below.