The TN visa is a temporary work visa for Canadian and Mexican citizens. It allows them to work in the United States for a specific period of time. The TN visa is a non-immigrant visa, which means that it does not lead to a green card or citizenship.
A TN visa is a specific type of visa available to citizens of Canada and Mexico who wish to work in the United States under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). An H1B visa is a general work visa that is available to citizens of any country who wish to work in the United States.
In this article…
Differences between H1B Visa and TN Visas
- H1B visas are for highly skilled workers in specialty occupations while TN visas are for Canadian and Mexican citizens in certain professional occupations.
- H1B visas require employer sponsorship while TN visas do not.
- H1B visas have a maximum duration of six years while TN visas can be renewed indefinitely.
- Finally, H1B visas allow holders to apply for permanent residency while TN visas do not.
Eligibility requirements for the TN visa.
The TN visa is a nonimmigrant visa in the United States that allows Canadian and Mexican citizens to work in the U.S. under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).
To be eligible for a TN visa, applicants must:
- Be a citizen of Canada or Mexico
- Have a job offer from a U.S. employer in an occupation listed on the NAFTA list of professions
- Possess the required qualifications for the position, including any licensure required by the U.S. state in which the applicant will work
- Have proof of ability to meet the salary requirements for the position
- Intend to work in the U.S. for a temporary period of time
- Have a valid passport
What restrictions are placed on TN visa holders?
TN visa holders are subject to a number of restrictions, including:
- They may only work in the specific occupation listed on their visa
- They must have a job offer from a US employer
- They may only stay in the US for a maximum of three years
- They must maintain a valid passport and proof of employment
- They are not eligible for permanent residency or citizenship
How long can someone stay on a TN visa?
A TN visa is a temporary nonimmigrant visa that allows certain professionals from Canada and Mexico to work in the United States for a specific period of time. The maximum length of stay on a TN visa is three years.
Can dependents of TN visa holders also come to the United States?
Yes, dependents of TN visa holders can come to the United States. The dependents of TN visa holders are eligible for TD visas.
What work activities are allowed under the TN visa?
Work activities that are allowed under the TN visa include professional work in fields such as accounting, architecture, engineering, medicine, and teaching.
What are the educational qualifications needed for TN visa
There are no specific educational qualifications required for a TN visa. However, applicants must have the appropriate credentials for the specific occupation they are seeking to enter the United States to perform. These credentials may include but are not limited to, a degree, diploma, certificate, or license.
You do not need to provide educational qualifications documents for a TN visa.
How to get a TN visa?
There is no specific application for a TN visa. However, individuals seeking to enter the United States under the TN visa category must submit a petition to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) requesting approval to enter the country. The petition must include evidence that the individual meets the requirements for TN status, including proof of professional qualifications and a job offer from a U.S. employer.
An employer may choose to file Form I-129, Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker, on behalf of a Canadian citizen who is outside the United States. Premium Processing Service is available.
If your I-129 form is approved by USCIS, you can then apply to CBP for admission to the United States as a TN nonimmigrant. You will need to provide the following documentation to a CBP Officer at a designated CBP port of entry or pre-clearance/pre-flight inspection station:
- Proof of Canadian citizenship;
- Approval Notice from USCIS for Form I-129.
How long does it take to get a TN visa?
I-129H1 processing usually takes six months. Premium processing will accelerate your TN petition to 15 business days for a charge.
Can you have two TN visas at the same time?
Yes, you can have two TN visas at the same time.
How to get a management consultant TN visa?
There is no specific TN visa category for management consultants. However, management consultants may be eligible for TN status under the “Management Consultant” occupational category if their job duties meet the requirements set forth in the relevant regulations. To qualify for TN status, management consultants must have a bachelor’s degree or higher in a relevant field, and must be able to demonstrate that they have the necessary skills and experience to perform the duties of a management consultant.